Admissions Notes...It's August, but Rivendell School is still accepting applications for placement in classes for the 2015-16 school year. We are always seeking families who are a good "fit" with our philosophy.
Our current openings are primarily in the lower grades.
Inquiries: please contact the school at firstname.lastname@example.org
E-mail is the best way to contact us during the summer. Feel free to send all correspondence through email@example.com
Summer Reading for Parents: please consider reading
The Blessing of a Skinned Knee, by Wendy Mogel.
We look forward to discussions about it in the coming school year.
- Class Lists Posted, Friday, August 28th
- First Day of School is Tuesday, September 1 (9 am-1 pm early dismissal)
- School Blessing, September 1 at 7:00 pm in Founders' Hall. (Dress uniform)
Class Lists 2015-16
Please take a few minutes to read "Rose Colored Classes" (can be found in the May 18th Rivendell Review and is available in the office and on the office bulletin board) to familiarize yourself with the process by which teachers form their classes each spring. Note that teachers do not entertain requests for teachers or for another classmate from parents. The process is limited to ensure that all students are well-considered as a class is being made. Special requests should only be addressed to the Headmaster.
Note that class lists are published on the school website
on the last Friday of August.
First Day of School Notes for PARENTS
We look forward to seeing you and your child on TUESDAY, September 1st!
1) Morning Drop off: Parents are welcome to park and escort their child into school. If not, please plan to drop your child off at the Kensington Street entrance following our regular morning drop-off procedures. If you do plan to stay, you may park on either side of the school (returning families are encouraged to park on the Kentucky Street side of the school). Please be careful not to block or park too closely to our neighbors' driveways.
2) First Day Coffee/Intercessors/First Day Assembly: At 9:00 am when the students head to classes, parents are invited to stay in Hobbit Hollow to connect with each other, and enjoy a cup of coffee and other refreshments. Parents may then choose to stay around and join the students in the chapel at 10:00 for the first day assembly. Our Intercessory prayer group meets each Wednesday during the school year from 9-10 am in the chapel. Please plan to join us whenever and for as long or little you can. Children are always welcome at Intercessors so feel free to bring them along too. Our regular assemblies take place each Friday from 9:00-9:30 am in the chapel building. Parents and siblings are welcome to attend and seating is available upstairs in the balcony.
3) Afternoon Pick-up: School concludes every Wednesday at 1:00 pm. Plan to pick your child up between 1:00 and 1:20 by pulling your car into the carpool line that wraps around from Kentucky St. (in front of the chapel) back to 24th street. Please put your "flashers" on, and be very mindful not to block intersections or our neighbors' driveways as you wait. As you reach the front of the line, stay in your car and we will bring your child to you.
Please, it is tremendously helpful if you place a placard with the last names of those in your carpool in the front, passenger-side of your windshield.
4) All School Blessing: Our All School Blessing begins at 7 pm on Tuesday evening. Please have your child in Hobbit Hollow in dress uniform at 6:45. Dress uniform for boys includes navy blue long pants, a white button down shirt, and the uniform tie. Dress uniform for the girls includes the uniform jumper (K-5grade) or a skirt (6-8 grade) with the grade-appropriate white button-down shirt. The Blessing lasts about an hour. It is a Rivendell tradition to help stack chairs after our events so plan to stick around a few extra minutes to help us tidy up.
5) Sign up early to serve the school with your Parent Involvement Hours. Look for sign-up sheets posted outside of the office on Work Day and on the first day of school. Announcements for openings that remain unfilled will be made in the Rivendell Review and at Back to School Night.